Monday, April 8, 2013

Raw


I can feel your absence in everything 
that reminds me of you, 
in the book you left, 
lying on my dresser 
underneath the lamp where we used to make
love. 
In the language 
I never realized was ours 
until we stopped speaking it together. 
Even in the men
that I force myself 
to feel something for, 
but I never can
because in them, I see parts of you, 
a deep voice
(that lacks your conviction)
a mess of curly hair 
(that never suffices my longing for to run my fingers through yours)
but they are only parts of you 
and they are never enough. 
In every lonely cigarette I smoke 
and in every corner of this city, 
I find you taunting me
reminding me that you’re not mine anymore. 
but you’re not really there
You are just a memory,
slipping through my
shaking fingers. 
It is in this realization that I suffer the most.
you are going, going, gone. 
there are no more words. 
I am incomplete. 


I was inspired to write this because I was recently talking to one of the girls I work with and she told me her story of how she had to grow up quickly at 15, and how she was always scared of someone leaving her. She felt like she never had anyone to lean on, she was just raw material. How every time she met someone new, it hurt her, because she was so scared of the uncertainty of their motives

some powerful lines here, Stina--

No comments:

Post a Comment